The history of Pöyry in Switzerland spans more than a century. It started in 1895 with the foundation of Elektrobank in Zurich. The newly founded financing company of the AEG bank group used the introduction of electrification to finance the construction and operation of power supply companies.
After the stagnation of the electrification in Europe due to the start of the World War I, Elektrobank became independent from AEG. In 1920, the bank created a technical department (construction office). From 1941, Elektrobank started designing various new hydropower schemes.
With the name change from Elektrobank to Elekto-Watt, the company started to benefit from a long-lasting economic boom. Thanks to numerous hydropower projects in Switzerland, the technical office could be expanded to reach 355 employees in 1964. As a result of this growth, Elektrowatt Engineering (EWE) was founded as an independent firm in 1965, and became the largest Swiss engineering and consulting company.
The great success allowed Elektrowatt Engineering to also increase its activities outside of Switzerland. The EWE was entrusted with the development of major storage schemes such as Atatürk and Karakaya hydropower plants in Turkey. Another benchmark was set by the Elektrowatt Group with the construction of the Leibstadt nuclear power plant.
With Credit Suisse's withdrawal from the energy business, Elektrowatt Holding was closed down. Electrowatt Engineering Ltd. Was acquired by the Finnish Jaakko Pöyry Group. In 2001, the company was split into an energy (Electrowatt-Ekono Ltd.) and an infrastructure (Electrowatt Infra Ltd.) sector.
In 2006, the Jaakko Pöyry Group aimed at elevating the brand and rebranded all companies of the Group into Pöyry. Today, Pöyry is one of the world's leading engineering and consulting companies.
With the acquisition of Kündig + Partner AG in 2008, Pöyry significantly strengthened its know-how, particularly in the areas of building technology design and technical coordination. In 2010, the Group expanded its expertise in the field of water and wastewater technology. In spring 2011, Pöyry acquired 100% of the share capital of the traditional family company pkag Paul Keller Engineers Ltd., thus strengthening its market position and presence in the railway technology sector.
In 2013, the three companies, Pöyry Energy AG, Pöyry Infra AG and Paul Keller Ingenieure AG merged under a single roof: Pöyry Schweiz AG.